As a military member, you have several resources available to support your health – from nutrition courses and fitness initiatives to military family programs and wellness centers. Discover and explore different tools that can help make healthy living easier for you and your family. While Help to Military Moms does not provide direct health care services, it does offer non-medical counseling and information about health care services and resources.
Family health resources
Service members can take advantage of a variety of resources that support a healthy family life, tools that help teach youth good nutrition and the importance of exercise. Some of them include:
- ✔ Alliance for a Healthier Generation: This program empowers kids to develop lifelong, healthy habits.
- ✔ Share our Strength: This initiative offers instruction that encourages families to purchase and prepare healthier food on a budget through cooking classes and grocery store tours.
- ✔ Operation Kid Fit: This initiative is a military-adapted, evidence-based child obesity program.
- ✔ 5210 Healthy Military Children campaign: This campaign encourages kids to eat more fruits and vegetables and reduce sugary beverages while getting more physical activity and reducing screen time.
- ✔ Baby Hot Wheels: This free circuit-training program provides an opportunity for new parents who can get in shape while meeting others.
- Community Resource Guide: This initiative links the social services and health and wellness services available both on the installation and within the community in a web-based format.
- Army Wellness Centers: These centers provide prevention programs and services that promote healthy lifestyles for the well-being of service and family members.
- Evaluating the Impact of a Dietitian: Registered dietitians stationed on the installation provide a range of services to support the nutrition and overall health of service members and their families.
- 5210 Healthy Military Children Campaign: This campaign encourages kids to eat more fruits and vegetables and reduce sugary beverages while getting more physical activity and reducing screen time.
Online health and wellness initiatives
Health services are available to military members in a variety of forms. Get motivated by connecting with other people who have similar goals and seek out new methods for helping yourself stay on the path toward a healthy lifestyle with these online initiatives.
- The Human Performance Resource Center is a Department of Defense initiative that helps members of the military, their families and caretakers to maintain a fit and healthy lifestyle. The online center offers advice on nutrition, dietary supplements, physical conditioning and mental fitness.
- TRICARE provides resources to help you pursue a healthy lifestyle, such as Making Healthy Changes for Life.
- Operation Live Well is a Department of Defense initiative to improve the health and wellness of the entire defense community. It provides service members with a set of resources that they can use to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture offers the Start Simple with MyPlate app, a simple and easy-to-use mobile app that allows you to set daily food goals, track your progress in real time, earn badges and celebrate your success as you learn to develop healthy eating habits.
MWR Digital Library health resources
Another great place to turn to support your health is the Morale, Welfare and Recreation Digital Library, which offers a variety of materials for those seeking information on wellness. Through the library, users can:
- ✔ Access medical journals, magazines, reference works and multimedia covering a range of health-related issues.
- ✔ Find journals and other materials with information on everything from brain health to psychology to alternative medicine.
- ✔ Improve their brain health with clinically proven personalized brain training exercises.